Date(s) - 17/08/2017
6:30 pm - 10:00 pm
H.R. MacMillan Space Centre
1100 Chestnut Street, Vancouver, BC
$25-30 (limited early bird tickets available before August 4). Purchase tickets on Eventbrite.
Visit the Facebook page to performer profiles and event updates.
ἔκλειψις (ékleipsis) – “the abandonment”, “the downfall”, “the darkening of a heavenly body.”
Our human experiences of astronomical events depend on the past and present spectrum of our cultural relationships with science, technology, theology, and mythology. ECLIPSE:TOTAL ALIGNMENT is a sensory exploration of the ways that we frame this rare total alignment of the sun, earth, and moon. Join Curiosity Collider and the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre to explore this momentary darkness through art and science.
The event includes a performance show in the planetarium theatre, and interactive multi and mixed media art installations on the main level Cosmic Courtyard. Highlights:
- a soundtrack of the solar system created by data sonification
- a dance piece that plays with alignment, light, and shadow
- scientific narration about the of the upcoming total solar eclipse (on August 21st) and the phases of the moon
- spectacular custom planetarium dome visuals
- meeting the artists and scientists behind one-of-a-kind interactive and multimedia art projects
This event is 19+ only. Beer and wine available for purchase, light snacks included. Limited early bird tickets available before August 4.
This show is curated by Curiosity Collider’s Creative Director Char Hoyt, and developed in collaboration with the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre. Participating artists and scientists:
- Armin Mortazavi (science storyteller and cartoonist)
- Brady Marks (interactive and digital media artist)
- Christa Van Laerhoven (astronomer, planetary scientist)
- Hfour: Ben Z Cooper & Stuart J Ward (multimedia artists)
- Jamie Magrill (undergraduate cancer researcher)
- Kalindi D. Morgan (chemist/evolutionary biologist)
- Kelly McInnes (dancer)
- Larissa Blokhuis (fine art sculptor)
- Maren Lisac (composer and musician)
- Niel McLaren (creative technologist)
- Sammy Chien (interdisciplinary media artist/choreographer/dancer)
- Sophia Wolfe (dancer and visual media artist)